Monday, July 7, 2014

Whole30 Days 4, 5, and 6.

Kill ALL the Things!!!!

Also I really want a nap...

and cheese...

and carbs/gluten in any form it comes in.

The Whole30 people were right. The first day seems like this high where you feel like "this isn't that bad." Your fridge is stocked with healthy food and its looking good. You can do this!

Then you get to Day 4. And you hit a serious wall. The family made it a bit easier but suppling some yummy paleo friendly food for our July 4th on the 5th cookout. My dad smoked ribs and made a special rub for us that was really delicious. We also had fresh green beans and sweet potatoes. It felt like real food and I didn't really feel like I was missing out of anything. Except the homemade ice  cream . . .


Day 5
I just didn't want to eat. I was so sick of cooking I just made tuna salad with home mayo, egg and apple for dinner. It's one of the only picnic things I would eat as a kid (not really a sandwich person) and there's a bit of comfort in that. My first attempt at the mayo was a complete and utter failure. I was following a slightly different set of instructions and it did. not. work. Brett and I were also trying out our new grill at the time and were making squash packets and burgers for lunch. The burgers turned out pretty well and the squash and onions burned to a crisp inside the foil. I have seen my mom make these so many times and I have no idea what went wrong. The plus side was that the mayo finally turned out and I made smoked paprika mayo for the burgers. It was so good :).

Day 6.
Camp started back today. Overall it's going well and the kids seem to be enjoying it. However, it wears me out. I'm already exhausted because of the Whole30 and the added running around isn't helping. Apparently, my body is learning to not rely on easy sources of sugar and carbs for energy. It's learning to only rely on fat as a source of energy and my brain is fighting it every step of the way. Retraining your brain and your body is hard. Much harder than I thought it would be. This lack of energy makes going to my classes super hard and nearly impossible. I went earlier this week but going today did not happen. I'm so exhausted all the time. I've been told this is a phase and my energy levels should pick up soon. I hope so!

Dinner was zucchini ribbons with meatballs and marinara. All in all it was pretty good. It is probably something I will make again during the next 30 days.

Brett and I have decided to plan something fun to do locally at the end of the 30 days to help motivate us. We're trying not to make it food :). We want to see this through and feel like a reward at the end will help us finish strong and not cheat. Especially, since if you cheat, you have to start over :(. Any ideas welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment