Friday, July 4, 2014

Whole30: Day Three

Day 3 Complete!

The Whole30 people warn you about a few withdrawal symptoms you're supposed to experience. So far, I just had a mild headache for a bit yesterday but no withdrawal symptoms today except that I slept for 10 hours :). I think the past few weeks of not sleeping well finally caught up with me. And since I got my butt handed to me yesterday in Hip Hop, I woke up a bit sore and it has only gotten worse as the day has gone on. It hurts so good though. Dancing always makes me feel that way :).

No July 4th plans today but we will be getting together with my family tomorrow. My dad is even making a paleo friendly rub for the ribs he is making :). There are supposed to be some Whole30 approved sides as well. I'm sure it will all be very yummy :)

Breakfast today was the frittata leftover from yesterday. It was still delicious :)

Lunch was a boiled egg, a handful of almonds, and some fresh berries. With it being so hot outside I realized I just couldn't get my head around the idea of eating something hot for breakfast and lunch and dinner. Next week work starts back, so I'll have to get creative with lunches if we don't have leftovers, especially since we are a nut free school. We've agreed to keep boiled eggs on hand though, which should definitely help.

Dinner was . . . interesting. Overall, the flavor from the Paleo Beef Stew with Turnips and Greens was delicious but I just couldn't quite stomach the greens and turnips. I couldn't find baby ones, so I just got the big ones and cubed them up. Having never eaten them before, I have no idea if this made a difference or not. The turnips weren't too bad but a few of them were super sour/bitter. I had no way of knowing which was which and eating the soup felt like Russian Roulette "turnip-style" after a bit, so I gave up and ate around them.

The recipe said I could use just about any greens I wanted. I chose the collards because this Southern girl had never had them and I figured it was my duty to at least try them. I wish I could say that I liked them, I really do. I chopped them up fairly small but they're a bit chewy for my taste. We discovered a few years ago that I have some foods texture issues and that's why I don't like a lots of leafy greens (with exception of spinach, and I suspect butter lettuce). I'll be taking them tomorrow to the cookout to pass the leftover greens so my super Southern family.

The good news is that B liked this recipe the best out of the dinner dishes I've made and with a few tweaks after Whole30 I think I would like it too. The only changes I would really make would be to add in potatoes instead of turnips and sub in spinach for the greens. Needless to say, he and my mom are getting the leftovers.

We've done well here at home but tomorrow will be the first time we will be around food we can't have. Because I know we'll have good options and our family is being supportive, I'm not too worried  . . . except for the clear jar of cookies that sits out on my mom's counter. It is down right habit to go by and grab a cookie or two . . . or six. But we're taking fruit, so I'm hoping the cold crisp should help. Only good choices for me!


Day 3 in the books!


No comments:

Post a Comment